Do you have a mission for your life? Or do you live pretty much day to day, handling whatever comes your way at the time?
Id love to help you define a life mission, something that drives you every day and gets you up in the morning excited, knowing that you have an important something that you are living for.
You may have goals and things you want to do this year, or over the next couple of years, but do you actually have a mission that is the over-arching theme of your life and its purpose?
Its important to know your lifes mission, because all of your goals can then follow & be a part of fulfilling that overall mission.
So how do we find our lifes mission? Well, it takes some exploration of who you are and what youre made up of but its so worth it.
First, a definition of Life Mission :
a strongly felt aim, ambition or calling.
Think of it as the overall theme that defines your life, that defines you as a person and what you live for. What have you been sent onto this earth to do?
Goals are simply the vehicle used to fulfil your mission in life. They are not your mission they are the stepping stones towards obtaining your mission.
These are some questions you can ask yourself to help you to define it:
- What do you want to be remembered for?
- What do you want to be known for?
- What do you stand for?
- What are your non-negotiables in life?
- What do you most value in your life? What are those things that are so important to you, that you would sacrifice time, money and effort to fight for them?
- What is a cause or what causes do you believe in?
- What stirs your soul?
- If you had a movement, what would that movement be?
Here are some examples that demonstrate the difference between a mission and goals.
- An example of a mission would be to help eradicate poverty in the world. A goal associated with it would be to organise a fundraiser to raise money for a charity that helps the poor.
- Another example of a mission would be to inspire women to be empowered to fulfil their potential. A goal associated with that would be to start a blog that has articles inspiring women and telling them all that they can be and do with their lives.
So there you have it keys to finding out what your life mission is. The thing about mission as well, is that it can evolve. You dont have to have the full picture yet. Work at it, while knowing that you can refine it continually until it really reflects who you are, what you value and what you want to primarily spend your life in pursuit of.