Card games are a great way to have fun with your “tween” aged boy. One of our favourites is the game called Speed. I’ve outlined the rules for you below.
The Speed card game we play is best played with 2 players and these are the rules :
SETTING UP THE CARDS
– Each player puts down 1 card face up, then the next 5 face down in a row (see picture below)
– The player then places another card face up on the 2nd card, then another 4 on the next cards that are already face down. (see picture)
– The player continues like this until 6 cards are face up, with varying numbers of face down cards underneath them, the first card being the only one with no cards underneath it.
– The cards will end up in a row with 1 card first, then 2 cards, then 3, then 4, then 5 and the 6th pile having 6 cards.
– Altogether, each player will have dealt themselves 21 cards.
– Then in the middle between the 2 players, set up 2 cards face up, and put the remaining cards in a card stock pile to the side (see picture below).
GOAL OF THE GAME
The goal of the game is to be the quickest player to get rid of all your cards. The only way you can get rid of them is by placing a sequential card on one of the face up cards that are in the middle.
For e.g. If one of the middle cards is a 4, you can add to it from your pile if you have a 3 or a 5. If one of the cards is a Jack, you can add to it a 10 or a Queen.
– You can always have 6 cards showing face up, but not more than 6 at any one time.
– If you reach a point where no one can put down a card, take two more cards from the stock pile and place them face up in the middle.
– You can play with more than 2 players, but you would need to lay down less than 21 cards for each player – 15 cards each would work.
Want to play another card game with your boy? Try Rummy, it’s also great fun!